Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Another Morning

Another morning. Looking out of the kitchen window finding the weather being grey and gloomy. On a day like this I don't care.
Sipping my coffee, reading Haruki Murakami's 'Kafka On The Shore' - a wonderful and surreal (or is it? isn't life surreal in itself?) book, listening to nice music:


La Monte Young - Five Small Pieces For String Quartet
Five beautiful, very short pieces (1 - 2 munutes only), taken from the 'USA' album, sharing its bill with 7 other contemporary composers

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Bass Culture
I'm not a fan of rap music, but old toast and dub in combination is great and hearing these good beats and basses mixed with LKJ's deep voice is even greater

The AALY Trio feat. Ken Vandermark - I Wonder If I Was Screaming
I love Mats Gustafsson's powerful playing and his good taste of putting himself in the best musical enviroments, as here with this expanded trio. A lot of Free Form Music is supposed to be 'dufficult' listening to, but that's crap - just open up your ears and let it in and it will do the job itself. On the contrary, a lot of 'easylistening' music is really difficult to listen to - it aches all over me.

Manfred Mann - Mann Made
A few crappy Top 10 hits (Hi Lily Li Lo - Mah God!!), but also a lot of really good inspiring jazz and blues tracks. For me this album is the conection to Manfred Mann's most interesting project ever, Chapter Three, Volume One & Two, with its sort of Canterburian Jazzish approach - worth looking for

Today, thru the net, I droped into some good news:
(a link for the Swedish reading people: http://www.orkesterjournalen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=36)
I thought the second hand store Andra Böcker & Skivor (Other Books & Records) was gone forever, but they just changed addr

No comments:

Post a Comment